Saturday, January 19, 2019

Saturday 9

Let's start off today's post with a feel good video from two teens who try to figure out how to dial an old fashioned rotary telephone.
They are good sports and finally figure it out !



It's a rainy day here by the south Jersey seashore but not as cold as it has been. Temperatures are in the high 30s to low 40s today.
I hope your weather is not too extreme.

Now let's tackle Saturday 9


Saturday 9: '65 Love Affair (1977)Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The first line of this song is, "I was a car hop." Car hops used to take orders and bring diners food to eat in their cars. Today, the drive through lane has pretty much replaced car hops. Think about the last time you went to a fast food restaurant. Did you order at the counter or at the drive through window?

I don't eat at fast food restaurants, so can't answer this one.

2) Mr. Davis sings that his girlfriend was "bad with her pom-poms." Presumably she was a cheerleader. Share one of your school's cheers.

Push em back push em back, waaaaay way back,

3) The lyrics tell us he believes that if he could go back in time, his girl would still be his. If you could travel back in time to your high school years, what would you enjoy doing again? What would you do differently?
I enjoy most everything but I would avoid a boy-friend I had.


4) During his performing days, Paul Davis sported a full beard and flowing hair. We're using that to check your powers of observation and recollection. Think of the last man you spoke to. Who was he? Describe his hair, and tell us whether he was clean shaven.

A guy I know and he has a beard and close cropped hair.


5) Paul Davis was born in Meridian, MS, and that's where he returned to when he went into semi-retirement in 1982. Meridian's biggest employer is the Naval Air Station in Meridian. Do you know anyone who is currently in, or employed by, the military?

Not anymore, no.

6) He was a pool player and a golfer. Which sport are you better at?
Of the two, neither as I've never done either.   

7) Sadly, he died in 2008, on the day after his 60th birthday. His best friend remembers him as "a homebody," who enjoyed staying up long into the night with his friends, playing and listening to music. Describe your perfect way to spend an evening.

At a party with friends, out to eat with friends, or just at home with friends.

8) The publishing rights to "'65 Love Affair," as well as Paul Davis' bigger hits ("Cool Night" and "I Go Crazy"), are owned by another Paul -- Paul McCartney. Sir Paul's MPL Publishing Company has made him a very rich man, and Paul says that's because he chose to invest in music, something he loves. What about you? If you were to invest in a business or industry you love, which would you choose?
Don't know.

9) Random question --You're at a party and one of your host's best friends is a real egghead who tries to draw you into a conversation about paradigmatic counter existentialism. Would you: a) just listen politely while letting your mind wander; b) admit you don't know what the hell he's talking about; c) explain why you personally feel that the counter existential paradigm just adds unnecessary complexity to the individual's search for meaning?

 Most likely C and then debate with him.
 It does add complexity for many but it is worth discussing.  Existentialism believes that man defines 
 People who have interests that are really outside the box  are constantly in search of  people to speak to and most people are just really not that able to discuss such things. The average person only wants to talk about TV, movies and etc.
 I would discuss it with him/her and enjoy it thoroughly.


Until tomorrow.. have a good day.


3 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with this song. I also would prefer to visit with friends either at a restaurant or their home or ours. I love visiting one on one (or as couples), but not as much in a large crowd where it is difficult to have any meaningful conversation. The topic above (existentialism, etc.) would be intriguing. Not sure I would know what to say, but I do like to have my brain stimulated and be caused to think about things that make me think and learn. If I could go back to High School, I would still have fun, but I would try harder to study and get better grades. I was too busy having fun, cheerleading, being a part of many clubs, groups, etc., and I didn't care much about my studies. I made good enough grades to get by, but my senior English teacher was very upset with me for not putting forth more effort...she said I was not living up to my potential. At the time I didn't know what that was. Now I wish I'd listened, but even so, I've had a good life, and God led me in ways that I never dreamed possible back then. So I can't really complain. I know your cheer...and also quite a few others...how about "2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits a dollar. All for "our team" stand up and holler!" Have a marvelous day my friend. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that video ! Strangely satisfying to see the teens struggle as much with our "technology" as we did at the beginning of theirs ! If we'd been shown a Smart Phone in the 60's and told what it could do , that owner would probably have been put into a "rubber room "!
    As always , the questions and answers to this week's quiz are very interesting . Given a choice , I'd have skipped that whole era...unless there was a wise friend to help me through it ...seem to have come into my own later in life .
    I so enjoy coming here !!!
    Be well , warm and dry , my friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell you, Liam would have a hard time with a rotary phone as well, lolol. Stay warm my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.