Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Haiku for An Afternoon in March


One feeds the body but it is necessary to also feed the spirit within
Haiku can help to do that by offering a look at life and nature in words that evoke feeling. Words can create meditation.

Mr. Frog has plucked his Samisen and is ready for bed.taken in one of my ponds




" One Note of Zen*"

 A frog has plucked his slack-stringed
samisen;
The Pond was quieter at nightfall,
then.
                                ~~Hȏ- Ȏ



apple blossoms in my yard






 "Atmosphere"

How still it is!
The belfry's vibrant boom
Does not so much as stir
the cherry-bloom.

                           ~~Shiki




picture I drew for a header
The Spring Festival

What pains I took to hang my lantern on
the branch of cherry blossom
where it shone.
                         ~~~Shiki






 Did you know you can pronounce the word shōne (Sh-own) as shon (rhyming with on)?   Yes, you can.  It fits in the haiku above.

*Zen is meditation and things that can bring on meditation.
In Haiku, Japanese words with multiple syllables are not counted the same way as in English.
The rules for haiku really only apply to Japanese.
I rarely write any Haiku as no one can compare to the masters whose work puts all others to shame.
It's like trying to play piano after Van Cliburn has played.

Tonight it is snowing like crazy and we have almost 10 inches already.
High tide will bring flooding but I think we will be okay.

Raw photos from tonight: (This post was originally written in late March 18 of 2018 and I am repeating it today and leaving in the report of the snowstorm which was quite a big deal at the time with over a foot of snow last year)

 looking through the woods behind me
my front walkway

        
         Today, March 13,2019 is 41°F, sunny with some clouds
Barometer: 30.32 inHg. falling
Moon Phase: Waxing Gibbous Moon

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad that snowstorm was LAST year and not this! I know you must be ready for spring by now! Love your Haiku selections. They are always so interesting to me. Thank you for teaching us new things this way. Hope you are safe and warm and enjoying the last bit of winter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy your Haiku posts Annie. I too find them interesting. The first time I've heard the word or the meaning was the first time I saw your first post on Haiku which really surprised me as I thought I knew it all... LOLOL! Have a blessed evening my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Haiku you choose is further enhanced by your beautiful photos .
    Thank you for bringing beauty to us on a regular basis !
    Be well , my friend

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.