Saturday, March 16, 2019

Molly Malone

Hello, Friends!
Welcome to another Saturday 9 brought to us each week by Sam .
 This week revolves around Saint Patrick's Day. He is credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland but in reality Christianity came to the British Isles in about 35AD.
Weather is supposed to be lovely on Saturday but I am writing this on Friday..so I can't swear to it


This week the song is Molly Malone and you can hear it HERE

 1) Are you of Irish descent?
My paternal great grandparents and their parents,etc. were born in Ireland along with their children.. He then moved to Scotland for work in the 1800's.  So the answer would be yes To this day my family reside in Scotland and Wales and some in Canada. But my background is very interesting to say the least.
My paternal grandfather came to America early in the 1900s and sent for my grandmother  to come over with the children. But you don't really know what you are until you have a reputable DNA test done. Til then you and I could be anything, despite where your people come from.
You have all kinds of people moving to all kinds of nations all the time and calling themselves by the nations name but... who knows what they really are.   In the end we are human beings and that is what is most important.

2) Legend has it that the heroine of this week's Irish ballad was a real lass. 17th century birth and burial records confirm that a woman with that name lived in Dublin. Can you think of another song about a real historic figure?
There are so many songs like that but right now I am thinking of Tom Dooley. You know the song.. "Hang down your head Tom Dooley.. hang down your head and cry.." And you can hear that song right HERE.
And HERE is the story of Tom Dooley.

3) Molly sold fish from a cart that she wheeled through the streets. What's the last seafood you ate?
    I had cod fish and french fries.

4) The lyrics tell us that, after her death, her ghost continues to wander the streets of Dublin with her wheel barrow. Do you believe in ghosts?
Not white sheet kind like Casper, but, there might be entities of some sort.

5) This week's featured band, The Dubliners, are obviously from Dublin. They were introduced to American audiences on The Ed Sullivan Show. Today, Stephen Colbert tapes his show in The Ed Sullivan Theater. Who hosted the last talk show you watched?
Bill Maher on a YouTube video. I was interested in seeing   Ben Shapiro mop the floor with him.

6) Corned beef and cabbage is a traditional St. Patrick's Day dish. Is it a favorite of yours?
No and it isn't Irish either. Very poor Irish immigrants bought corned beef from Jewish butchers in NY because they could not afford lamb or bacon which you need for Shepherd's Pie and Colcannon which are traditional Irish meals.

7) According to Irish legend, leprechauns earned the gold in the pot they guard by repairing shoes. Crazy Sam can't remember the last time she got a pair of shoes repaired. When the heels wear away, she discards the shoes and buys new ones. What about you? Do you get your shoes fixed (either by leprechauns or just by ordinary repairmen)?
I used to, yes. I  used to wear Weejuns which had leather soles and tops.
And by the way, I do believe in Leprechauns and one day I will tell you why. No, I am not joking.

8) Do you look good in green, the signature color of St. Patrick's Day?
My eyes are green so I better look good in green!

9) Random question: Did you more recently sneeze or cough?
I sneezed!

Now, you answer them, okay? Enquiring minds want to know about you too.
Tomorrow is Sunday Stealing... be there or be square.





11 comments:

  1. Thanks Annie! I'll be singing Hang down your head Tom Dooley all day long now.. LOL!! I used to drive my ex singing it all day long every time I heard The Kingston Trio sing it on the radio. I'm looking forward to hearing your story on Leprechauns some time. I love Irish and Celtic folklore and spend St. Patrick's Day watching all my favorite Irish movies i.e.; Finnian's Rainbow, The Quiet Man, Darby O'Gill and the Little People and The Secret of Roan Inish. Enjoyed all your answers too. Have a blessed day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I forgot to put in "crazy" after ex singing etc... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psst! Next time you add your name, you may wish to update your link. Mr. Linky sends us to an entry of yours from back in February.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to hearing more about the Leprechauns! Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AW, so you are a green eyed Colleen.. Love your Irish genealogy... and I would have loved to see that Ben Shapiro segment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annie! #6 is so interesting! I did not know that. I guess I had not really thought about it. Thanks for sharing that info!
    I can't wait to hear your story about leprechauns! Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Started my day with Tom Dooley and loved it!
    Hadn't heard it in years and I thank you.
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's interesting about the corned beef and cabbage! I didn't know that. I still love it and I'm still going to eat it tomorrow, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had corned beef tonight, but no cabbage. Made modified reubens for supper...no sauerkraut either. We are having pot roast with carrots/potatoes tomorrow to celebrate our youngest son's birthday...his request. We are Scotch Irish and German here at our house...both my hubby and I are that...So we do put on the green for St. Paddy's day so we don't get pinched. Do I believe in leprechauns? Well...maybe...maybe not...Nothing surprises me. Ghosts...well...not exactly ghosts...but I can sense the presence/closeness of my departed loved ones at times. I don't think heaven is really all that far away. Have a wonderful day tomorrow. We plan to be celebrating .

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.