Saturday, April 27, 2019

Beautiful Blustery Day


Hi Friends, Welcome to my blog on this brilliantly sunny, wildly windy, cool day. After the torrential rains of yesterday, everything is clean and fresh and well watered.

Saturday 9: Every Time You Go Away (1985)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about separation. Who is the last person you said goodbye (or maybe just "so long") to?

My family who came over. They just live around the corner from me.

2) This week's featured artist, Paul Young, was a gifted athlete during his school days and briefly played professional football (aka soccer). Sam enjoys playing tennis, though her serve doesn't give Serena Williams anything to worry about. What's something you enjoy doing, even if you don't excel?

Painting

3) Mr. Young and his wife Stacy were married for 31 years, until her death in 2018. What do you think is the key to a happy marriage?

The key is on the man's shoulders. I read a book that said that marriages that fail in the first 5 years are always the man's fault. I thought it was a load of poppy cock until I finished the book, as the author requested. By the time I was done I realized that this psychiatric marriage counselor knew what he was talking about.  The biblical injunction to men is to "love your wife" because, as one clergyman once told me, they  often don't. And to "dwell with her according to understanding" because as men admit they do not understand women. Yet, they don't take the biblical injunction to understand her to heart at all and stay ignorant of what women are like. This, I believe, leads to bad marriages.    Just like Adam, men are quick to throw their wives under the bus and place the blame on God in the final analysis.  Women are more loving.  Even Dr. Joyce Brothers when asked who was nicer men or women, admitted that after decades of seeing patients, women were more loving and nicer hands down.

4) Paul Young's performance of this hit song was one of the highlights of the July 1985 Live Aid Concert. This international benefit raised more than $100 million to alleviate hunger in Ethiopia. Tell us about a charity you support.
I support St. Jude because of the work they do for children.

5) This song was written by Daryl Hall, of Hall and Oates. What's your favorite Hall and Oates song?
I Can't Go for That.

6) In 1985, when this song was popular, the New Coke was unsuccessfully introduced. What's the last beverage you drank?
A cup of hot coffee.

7) In 1985, the New York Stock Exchange had to close because of Hurricane Gloria. Has a hurricane shared your name? (Find a list of recent/upcoming storm names here.)
Not according to this list.. No.

8) 1985 was the year that the Titanic wreckage was discovered. There have been at least 11 movies and TV shows about the fatal voyage. Have you seen any of them?
Many. I am fascinated by it.  I have a book on the cuisine and menus of the Titanic and the recipes. I would love to host a Titanic dinner, though it would be expensive to say the least.
As a tiny boy my daddy crossed the Atlantic on the Mauritania, sister ship of the Lusitania.  I heard a bunch of stories about that crossing. As I was born to an older couple, my parents were Edwardians and my brothers and sisters were old enough to be my parents!

9) Random question: Would you rather own and run a coffee shop or a shoe store? Why?
A coffee shop ! Always wanted to own one. There was a nice one in Lake Placid New York that we used to frequent when there which had such nice pastries,biscotti and coffee. Everyone was lovely and the conversations were good.
Also enjoyed a place called Cafe Mozart with Belgian and Austrian pastries.. These nations make the best pastries in the world.

7 comments:

  1. Sadly, no storms named after me, there should be, ROFL. Have a lovely Saturday my friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't going to do the Saturday 9 until I read yours Annie. Loved your answers especially #3 and #9 :) No storms named after me either. Have a blessed day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me of this song, I enjoyed watching the video link you gave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there is something to what you talked about in #3. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an interesting answer to the marriage question. Something to ponder as I set up a celebration for my nephew, who eloped in January.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #3's answer certainly was succinct...and truthful !
    Usually , when marriages fail , we women feel we are solely to blame .
    And yet , those men didn't take the time...weren't sufficiently motivated by love of us...to really get to know
    us .That alone would have meant so much...to be loved and valued as a partner...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your answer to number three was very interesting and I agree. God’s ways are always right. That is also interesting that you have siblings old enough to be your parents. I guess all your life you had people looking after you. I always wished for an older brother. Now that I am older, it’s funny that my younger brother has become like an older brother. He is so wise and so kind and he has been the best husband to my sil!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.