Friday, June 21, 2019

Hey Friends! As I write this on Friday afternoon, the rain has stopped and it is cool, breezy, sunny and gorgeous outside. This is perfect weather today.


Saturday 9: Venus in Blue Jeans (1962)

  Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Like the dream girl described in this song, Sam is wearing jeans as she composes this Saturday 9. Is there a lot of denim in your wardrobe?
There is a fair amount for sure.

2) Jimmy Clanton likens this girl to the Venus de Milo, the ancient Greek sculpture made of marble and now on display at the Louvre. Is there any marble in your home?

Yes. Marble in the bathroom and in the kitchen.

Venus in blue jeans.
3) He refers to his girl as "Mona Lisa with a pony tail." The Mona Lisa is also at the Louvre. What's the last museum you visited?    
 The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City... or maybe it was The Franklin Institute for the Tutankamun display. Not sure which. The drive to both is not far from here.

4) This girl is so awesome, she's the 8th Wonder of the World! Without looking it up, could you name the other 7?
I can name most of the old wonders but I don't think I know the new ones.
So off the top of my head:
Zeus statue in Greece, Colossus at Rhodes , Hanging Gardens of Babylon, Pyramids at Giza, Temple of Artemis, Alexandria Lighthouse .
    I had the first 5 very quickly, but wasn't sure if the temple was one..though I thought it was and turns out it is.   I had a book about them when I was a little girl. We have no idea what the hanging gardens looked like, just descriptions.  Worth memorizing again I think.

5) Jimmy Clanton spent his entire professional life behind a microphone. After he quit selling records, he began spinning them as a DJ. Do you consider the sound of your voice one of your better qualities?
For singing? It used to be, yes.   I don't get any complaints.

6) At age 80, Mr. Clanton still performs. He averaged an appearance/month in 2018. Some of his fans were surprised that he has let his pompadour go completely white. Do you color your hair?

No. I did but don't anymore.

This is a  borrowed picture from the net that looks exactly like my Buttons.
7) In 1962, when this song was popular, Americans were reading about 5-year-old First Daughter, Caroline Kennedy, and her pony, Macaroni. Tell us about a pet you had when you were very young.

I had a dog named Buttons that I brought home  from a friends house when I was in kindergarten. She was a very dear dog and
passed on in my senior year in high school.  We didn't give our animals shots every five minutes and they didn't get all the ugly diseases they get now and lived longer too.  

8) Decades later, Caroline Kennedy was the first woman to serve as US Ambassador to Japan. Have you ever been to Asia?
No.  And I have never been an ambassador either! Imagine that!

9) Random question: When talking among themselves, who do you think is more open and honest about sex -- men or women?
 Women.  Men are inhibited in many ways and unable to talk.


10 comments:

  1. Was the Tutankamun display fabulous? I would have loved to see it. I've always been fascinated by anything Egyptian. I didn't even try to name the 7 Wonders because I figured I wouldn't know a couple and seeing your list I was right. I wouldn't have come up with Zeus or the temple. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would enjoy being near a major museum. Out here in the boonies we don't see much more than car shows. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little dog was so cute. I think we saw the Tutankamun when it came to Dallas years ago. We visited the Metropolitan Museum when we were in New York. Good job on naming a few of the 7 wonders - I couldn't think of any except the Taj Mahal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We saw King Tut as well at the Birmingham Art Museum many years ago when it / the show was traveling through America. I love museums and would love to work in one (or should I say live,lololol). I hope you have a lovely day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on not giving our animals all the shots.... we never gave ours growing up... and I don't do it now either. Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed with your knowledge of antiquities. then I reread your profile and I see you are a study of anthropology,as well as, theology and history and now I am awed by you!! I agree with everyone about shots and all for pets.. I am shocked by how my friends spend thousands on their dogs teeth etc..!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Schotzy, I too am so impressed with your knowledge of many things but I knew it Annie. I wish I knew as much about history as you do. As always, I enjoyed reading your post and answers. Have a blessed day ahead dear Annie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a nerd, that's all. LOL Hope your day is blessed as well.

      Delete
  8. Awww, I love the story about little Buttons! So much better than the story I had to tell. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back when we had our dog in the 50s and 60s you didn't have pet healthcare like they do now. Our dog died when he picked a fight with a racoon.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.