Friday, January 31, 2020

Waiting All Day for Sunday Night

February is here! A shorter month but a nice one anyway.
I am participating in Sat 9 hosted by Sam Winters.

Saturday 9: Waiting All Day for Sunday Night (2012)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This week's Saturday 9 has a football theme because there's a big game Sunday. Will you be watching?
No.  Not interested in football or professional sports in general. Most of it is fixed anyway( do some research) and the Superbowl half time shows are ugly.  The glorification of these athletes and their over-inflated pay checks and self important views are distasteful to me.
2) The Super Bowl is a big day for food consumption in the US, second only to Thanksgiving. What's on your menu this weekend?
I think Beef Stew on Saturday. Sunday will be chicken or fish.
3) The NFL has decreed that the Super Bowl will never be played in a city that has a median February temperature of less than 50º. Would your hometown qualify for the Big Game?
My hometown would not nor is the high school stadium big enough to accommodate that kind of thing.

4) This version of the NFL theme song mentions the Steelers and the Broncos. During the regular season, which team do you root for? How did they do in 2019?
I don't cheer on any of them. Just completely not interested in any of it.Again, I find the players and their egos and the glorification of them objectionable.

5) This version of the Sunday Night Football song is by Faith Hill. She also has ties to the MLB, since her husband is Tim McGraw, son of the Mets' pitcher Tug McGraw. Which sport do you prefer -- baseball or football?
 Of the two, baseball.

6) Faith has performed live at more than one The Super Bowl in the past, performing both "America, the Beautiful" and "The Star Spangled Banner." What's your favorite patriotic song?

The Star Spangled Banner because of it's absolutely glorious meaning. It is spine tingling.
Our flag was flying over the fort. The British demanded it be taken down and all surrender to them and their tyrannical government.  The fort was occupied by a small number of soldiers and many women and children.
The British began their evil bombing attack despite it being of no harm to them.
As the bombing continued, the people decided not to let that flag fall. So one by one they gathered round it to hold up the pole and let the flag fly as a symbol of resistance to tyrants and thugs.
Those who held it up were slaughtered, but new people took their places, one after the other until the flag was at last held up by a great , deep pile of dead patriots.  The fort was all but destroyed, people dead who were helpless against the bombs.
And the flag was still there.  It even chilled the English cold ,dead hearts to see that it was.
That is the origin of the poem which became our national anthem. Don't diss it around me! I'll kick your "ask".
7) She has a perfume line with Coty that was a big seller at CVS during Christmas 2018. What's the last item you bought at a drugstore?
Cotton wool.
8) Faith Hill is the producer of a talk show on CMT called Pickler and Ben. Is the TV on as you answer these questions? If so, what are you watching?
I shut off cable, don't have TV anymore.
9) Random question: You've got a chip in your hand and three dips to choose from -- guacamole, salsa, and onion. Where does your chip get dipped?
Onion dip or even spinach dip.. yum.
Guacamole and salsa are for tortilla chips.

Tomorrow is Sunday Stealing and i will be stealing along with the gang.

 

7 comments:

  1. Cotton balls! Must add those to my shopping list. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard some of the story of the National Anthem before, but never the part about the bodies of the dead holding up the flag. Thanks for the history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monday I am making a crock pot of beef stew for the week. During the wither months I usually make a pot of a that I can have during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, no dissing...the truth of the Star Spangled Banner is a often misquoted. Like I was talking to my professor the other day (more on that topic in coming blog posts)--as historians and scholars it is our jobs to make sure history is correct, no matter how comfortable or uncomfortable the truth is. And we must go where the story goes, period. I will discuss this later in a blog post. It has to do with my paper I am writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boyfriend is a history teacher and my undergrad degree is in history, so, as you can imagine, we spend a lot of our vacation time visiting historic sites. One of my favorite places was fort McHenry in Baltimore. Another place we love is the Smithsonian Museum in Washington. Why do I mention both? Because the flag Francis Scott Key saw star Fort McHenry is now housed at the museum. Both sites are amazing. If you haven’t been, you should go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree about the halftime shows..usually vulgar and way to politicized. Thank you for the amazing acct of that fateful day Fort Mchenry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like spinach dip too! I love football and my team is in it this year, so I am beyond excited. I don't think either of these teams players have giant egos...maybe some of them, but for the most part they are humble. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.