Friday, June 5, 2020

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Yes my friends, gentlemen do prefer blondes. They really do and it was a fun movie. I've you've not seen it.. give it a try.
Now on to Saturday 9
When Love Goes Wrong,Nothing Goes Right

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: When Love Goes Wrong (Nothing Goes Right) 1953

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.



1) This is from the movie Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Have you seen it?
Yes I have seen it. I think it was a long time ago on television and I was a kid. 
 Marilyn Monroe was a good comedienne but her dramatic scenes were also good and I truly enjoyed her in the movie Niagara. A very good suspense movie!

2) The lyrics tell us that, when love goes wrong, "a match won't light." When did you most recently light a match?
Not too long ago for a candle. I keep boxes of matches around.

3) The duet is performed at a French sidewalk cafe, where Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe are (literally) sharing a cup of coffee. With whom did you most recently have coffee?
Me, myself and I. No one else drinks it. My son is a coffee fanatic but, he is not around to have coffee much.

4) The tune was written by prolific composer Hoagy Carmichael. He was influenced by his mother, who earned extra money for the family playing piano during silent movies. Who in your life influenced your career choices?
Hoagie Carmichael wrote the lovely song Stardust  How little we Know, The Nearness of You and the beautiful song Skylark.
I suppose my parents  influenced me ultimately.
Now you have to hear this version of Skylark. Its just so wonderful as sung by K.D. Lang 


One of my favorite songs and a favorite book.. movie.. and audio book by Anthony Heald.

5) Jane and Marilyn shared something beyond movie stardom. They were both married to Hall of Famers. Marilyn Monroe was married to Joe DiMaggio, who was inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame in 1955. Jane was married to quarterback Bob Waterfield, inducted into the football Hall of Fame in 1965. Which sport would you rather watch: baseball or football?
Either one is fine with me. My mother loved them both. Yankees baseball (like Toni) and Giants and Philadelphia Eagles football .
6) Jane and Bob Waterfield were high school sweethearts at Van Nuys High. The Southern California school was used as a set for the 1982 movie, Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Tell us something about your high school.
It is a very small but well rated school.


7) Marilyn and Joe DiMaggio met on a blind date at a Hollywood restaurant called Villa Nova. Have you ever arranged a blind date? If so, did the couple hit it off and end up dating?

No, I have not arranged one and I don't think I would.
8) In 1953, when Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was released, a tornado did severe damage to Waco, TX. Tell us about a major weather event that you endured (tornado, hurricane, flood, blizzard, heat wave, etc.).
An F5 tornado. I was little.  Several hurricanes including Sandy. The perfect storm of  '91 (of which they made the famous movie),  and a few earthquakes out west.

9) Random question: You see a filthy puddle. Floating on top are cigarette butts, a leaf, and a $1 bill. Would you bend over and rescue the dollar?

Yes and the leaf as well bit the cigarettes I would leave to drown!  
See you tomorrow I hope.... Annie


6 comments:

  1. "Niagara" was a great movie. People forget what a good dramatic actress she was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the song this morning. It's lovely and I really like k.d. lang's voice. Yikes! on the perfect storm. My son got me to watch that once. That was enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son loves Ms. Monroe. He has several posters etc on his wall. I'm like, you do know if she lived she would be well into her late 80's, right? He don't care. Have a great day friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hoagie.. He wrote some of our greatest tunes.. I enjoy watching him on Laramie which I recently discovered on Grit tv HEHEHE. I am a huge Robert Fuller fan.. always have been! I also really enjoyed those older movies.. Niagara was so suspenseful and I even liked her last film with Clark Gable, The Misfits. Such a tragedy.. her life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a lot of flooding here too, but I am not in an area that floods, so I didn't choose that one. It is devastating though.
    I miss talking baseball with Toni...just in general. We would talk about trades or how the season was going. Of course nothing to talk about this year yet. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. KD Lang is a wonderful singer. Great song! Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.