Friday, October 2, 2020

Sat 9.. Love

 
 

What's Love Got to Do with it?
                              
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
What's Love Got to Do with It is also the title of Tina Turner's film biography, which tells of Tina's escape from her abusive, controlling husband, Ike. October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Spread the word that help is available.
 
1) The video was shot around New York City in spring. Kids are seen jumping rope. Were you good at jump rope? Has it ever been part of your workout routine as an adult?
 I was very good at it and it was a complete surprise.  By 5th grade I had NEVER jumped rope in my life. Other girls were before school and they asked me to jump in to a double dutch situation.  I was embarrassed that I never jumped rope before and didn't want to admit that I didn't know how so I jumped in a was instantly good at it! I was amazed! I think this has happened to many people with various things. You jump in and its easy for you.
In university I took figure skating for my PE requirement and was placed after audition into advanced figure skating. There was a girl auditioning as well who had never been on skates in her life who was also put in. She had done competitive roller skating and took right to the ice the first time! Amazing but as I say, its odd how you can just fall into some things.  No its not part of my adult life at all.
2) In real life, Tina Turner played basketball for her school. Were you good at team sports?
I was okay and played field hockey and baseball.

3) In the video, Tina Turner wears a little black dress topped with a denim jacket. That jacket is a fashion staple 36 years later. Do you own a denim jacket? Not anymore but I did.

3) This song was first offered to Cliff Richard, a major pop star in England who never enjoyed gained superstar status in the US. Perhaps, if he had recorded "What's Love Got to Do with It?," he would have been better known on this side of the ocean. Tell us about a time when you said "no" when "yes" might have been the better answer.

I have more times in my life that I said  yes when no would have been a better answer!

4) Tina's first marriage, to Ike Turner, was a painful one. Her second marriage, to German music executive Erwin Bach has been far more supportive. This has been a blessing, since Tina has had serious health problems in recent years. Do you have any medical/dental appointments scheduled?
No.
5) Tina met Erwin at Heathrow Airport in 1986. He was there to help her prepare for her London performances. They immediately liked one another, but didn't become romantically involved until months later and were surprised to find themselves falling in love. Have you ever had a romantic relationship that crept on you?
No.
6) The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards referred to Tina as his "favorite aunt." Is there anyone who isn't a relative of yours by blood but you refer to as aunt, uncle, brother, sister, etc.?

Yes. My mother's friend was my "aunt" until the day she passed on.
7) Former President George W. Bush is also a big Tina Turner fan, and has praised her for having "the most famous legs in show business." What do you believe is your best physical feature?
Friends always have said my legs. Even the Famous Anonymous says so, so it must be true.
8) At home, Tina often doesn't always play music or TV because she appreciates quiet as much as music. What about you? Do you enjoy quiet?
Yes, I really enjoy quiet.
9) Random question: On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "very lazy" and 10 being "very productive," what number are you?
I would say I am a 9.
 



11 comments:

  1. I bet you have nice eyes too! I played field hockey too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As to #3...as we age , we can see times where , when presented with a choice , the wrong turn was taken . The other path would have brought a totally different result , but as my Mom once said , "If you hadn't gone through what you did , you wouldn't be the person you are today !".
    Wise lady ! ( still wish there'd been an easier way to get here...sigh...)
    Hope you have a terrific day , my friend !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the flip on the question "should you have said 'no'"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved jumping rope as a kid. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Figure skating ... I used to go to the rink as a kid but could never get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie,

    I roller skated as a kid. I couldn't do anything fancy other than skate. I always wanted to learn how to skate backwards but never could get the hang of it. I think I did more falling down then skating with the bruises to show for it. After we got married, we tried ice skating. I wasn't much better on the ice, either. Actually I worse. I'm glad I tried,though. You won't catch me in skates of any kind nowadays.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your header! Great story about jumping rope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it quiet, too. And your rope jumping experience was legendary! Wow!
    Also, roller skating and ice skating has to be close. My twins were a whiz on the ice the first time, and they were good roller skaters.
    You are a busy gal. Love the gulls floating in and out...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot about field hockey. I played on a team at a private school in 6th grade. In high school we didn't have a team but played in gym class. I still remember one girl on the other team asking to be moved to another position because she was across from me and she was afraid of me. She said I was too fierce on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Figure skating is hard! I can't do it but I love to watch those who can.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.