Friday, July 16, 2021

Purple People Eaters

Welcome friends!
Let's try Saturday 9 today.

Saturday 9: Purple People Eater (1958)




Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) When actor Sheb Wooley brought this song to MGM Records, they initially rejected it, saying it just wasn't the kind of thing they wanted to be associated with. Then executives discovered how popular the audition recording was with the 20-somethings in the office. MGM released it after all and it became a #1 hit. Tell us about a time you were glad you changed your mind about something. 

A few times I have watched movies I previously didn't have any interest in seeing and I really enjoyed them after all.
 

2) This song has been so enduringly popular that in the 1970s, the Minnesota Vikings defensive line referred to themselves as the Purple People Eaters. What football team do you root for?
 

I just am not a football fan and if I were I would not be a fan anymore with the political garbage taking over.  My mother was a Giants fan and a Philly Eagles fan as well.
 

3) The song was initially inspired by Sputnik, the satellite launched by the Soviet Union in 1958. In the 21st century, do you think space exploration is a worthwhile public investment? Or would you prefer  governments spend that money here on earth

It's a ridiculous waste of money and NASA is a huge scam.


4) The Purple People Eater is a visitor from another planet. When you imagine creatures from outer space, are they frightening or friendly?

They are invisible because they don't exist! But as Werner Von Braun said, the next scam after disease will be asteroids and finally alien invasion.. all of  it 100% fake.

5) This record was the biggest hit Sheb Wooley ever had. He was better known as an actor, costarring with Clint Eastwood on the 1950s TV show, Rawhide. What's your favorite Clint Eastwood movie?

I am batting 1000 today with negative answers. I just don't like Clint Eastwood much at all and none of his movies stand out as anything to write home about.\


6) Sheb and Clint remained buddies and appeared together decades later in The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976). Tell us about one of your longest-lasting friendships.
I've been friends with a fellow blogger (in person) for over 30 years. We have lunch together every Saturday now for years and years.
7) In 1958, when this song was popular, hula hoops were a national craze. Did you ever play with a hula hoop? If yes, were you good at it? 

Yes I had a hula hoop and I was pretty good with it too. I enjoyed it a lot.

8) Also in 1958, Arnold Palmer won his first Masters Golf Tournament. When did you most recently play golf?

Never! Well, miniature once but real golf never and I always wanted to try it. It looks like a great sport to me.

9) Random question: Do you believe women gossip more than men?
No. As a matter of fact I think the reverse is true


8 comments:

  1. All the political garbage has taken a lot of the enjoyment out of football. I was a huge Steelers fan, but rarely watch them now ( out of protest)...usually only seeing a game if I am visiting someone and they have it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Political garbage has taken over everything. It's a shame, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we have all mentioned miniature golf today

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another wonderful header !!! Thank you !
    I remember miniature golf outings as a "tween".
    The course was on the edge of a swamp and it was a toss up as to whether you were trying to hit the ball or bat those swarms of hungry mosquitoes !!
    Have a lovely lunch and a terrific day , my friend

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think men gossip a lot too. I wonder why women catch all the heat? Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.