Friday, May 6, 2022

Saturday 9 Mother Should Know


Hi  friends.
Here on the eastern sea coast we  are in the middle of a gale here with rain, heavy wind, heavy seas and flood warnings.. very usual by the sea.  It is chilly as well, Small craft advisories are up and waving wildly.
But no matter, it is time for Saturday 9.. so here we go.
Saturday 9: Your Mother Should Know (1967)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it   here

1) This week's featured artists, The Beatles, invite us to get up and dance to a song that was a hit before your mother was born. Do you enjoy the oldies? How old must a song be before you consider it "old?"    Yes I enjoy all sorts of music., I suppose oldies are more than 200 years old actually.  

2) Paul McCartney knew bandmate John Lennon's mom, Julia, and credits her with introducing him to the ukulele. Do you recall any of your childhood friends' mothers with fondness?
Not really.     Most of them seemed distant and cold to me.  One of the nicest was my friend Vivian's Belgian mother. She had a cute sense of humor.   But the rest were not much in the personality department I thought. 
3) Paul's own mother, Mary, tried to instill in her son a sense of pride in his appearance and saw to it he always left the house in a clean, ironed shirt. Paul says that, to this day, when he smells fresh laundry, he thinks of his mum. Is there a scent or sound that reminds you of someone you love who is no longer with us?
Charlie by Revlon and To a Wild Rose remind me of my mother.  Violet scent reminds me of my grandmother and a fourth grade teacher.  

4) George Harrison was the only member of the band to have any formal musical training. His mother, Louise, supported her son's musical ambitions and made sure he got guitar lessons. Did you take music classes as a child?
Our school system gave us music lessons from kindergarten onward.  Everyone learned to read music and play an instrument.

5) Ringo Starr was a sickly and often hospitalized little boy. His mother, Elsie, took a job as a barmaid so she could work at night, leaving her days free during visiting hours. When were you most recently in a hospital? Were you an admitted patient, there for an outpatient procedure, or visiting someone?
I was in a hospital a while back.

6) Mother Winters always gave our own Crazy Sam peppermint tea to calm her stomach. Do you have any tried-and-true home remedies to share?
Boil potatoes in the jacket , remove when done, add baking soda to the boiling water.. inhale for a treatment as effective as any inhaler your doctor can give you.
Use apple cider vinegar for removal of varicose veins. Just wipe it on and leave it.

7) Sam's mother always tips 15% in restaurants. Sam has worked in food service and is more judgmental, tipping between 10% and 25%, depending on the quality of the service. What's your tipping policy?
 15% seems to be the going rate today.

8) Sam's mother still gets the Sunday paper because of the sales fliers. She makes separate lists for each store, picking up grocery and household items where she knows they are on sale. Sam thinks her mother's strategy is a waste of time and gas and prefers one-stop shopping (even better, online one-stop shopping). Are you more like mother or daughter?
More like Sam's  mother.   I enjoy going from store to store.,  I like being around people and enjoy getting out when I  can.

9) Sam is celebrating Mother's Day with her mother's favorite, Hershey Bars. Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate or chocolate with almonds?
If I ate chocolate, I would rather have milk chocolate. Over all I would prefer a Snickers.  

Come again tomorrow please!


5 comments:

  1. I'll have to try the apple cider vinegar tip--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy the oldies...something nice about lovely melodies , actually sung by talented singers , with meaningful lyrics , that are easily understood .
    With all the wild weather outside , I'm so glad for your new roof ! Be safe , well and warm today . my friend !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. :
    This header is one of my favorites...lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  4. #6! I love your answers! I will have to try those! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to be able to comment again! Loved your answers. How amazing your school system provided musical training. I can not believe I didn’t think of momma scent . She loved Estée Lauder scents all of which wer3 rather strong!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.