Saturday, August 6, 2022

Big John!

Wend! I hope yours is peaceful, relaxing and lovely. We are due for a bit of rain, which we need now.


Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!   Thank you Sam  at Saturday 9 for doing this week after week.

August will be devoted to story songs. Here's the first:
 

Big, Bad John (1961)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song tells the story of a stern, enigmatic miner. None of the other miners knew much about him. When people first meet you, do you think they see you more as mysterious or straightforward?
I am pretty straightforward I think.
 
2) During a serious accident, many of the miners panicked. But not John. Think of your family, friends and acquaintances. Who would be the most dependable in a crisis?
It would be me actually. Secondly my son I think.

3) His heroism allowed 20 miners to escape, but cost John his life. According to the lyrics, there's a marble slab on site of mine that honors him. Is there a memorial to a local hero in your town?
Yes to a congressional medal of honor winner.

4) This song was written and performed by Jimmy Dean. He began composing it on a flight from New York to Nashville. How do you amuse yourself while traveling?
Looking at the landscape or sleeping.

5) Jimmy Dean hosted a long-running variety show on CBS, which is best-remembered today for introducing Jim Henson's puppets -- especially Rowlf, a dog who sang and told jokes. While Rowlf didn't make it to Sesame Street, he was a recurring character on the Muppet Show. Are you a Muppet fan?   They were cute.

6) Jimmy found success in business with The Jimmy Dean Sausage Company. He sold the company to Sara Lee in 1984 for $80 million. Today Jimmy Dean breakfast products are still popular in grocery stores all over the country. What's your favorite breakfast?
Fried eggs, fried potatoes ,fried mushrooms and tomatoes with toast and tea.

7) In 1961, when this song was popular, Vogue asked if fashion sense is inborn or if could a woman could learn to be chic. What do you think?   Do you think style is either something you have, or you don't?
I think you can learn it. but some have innate sense of design, etc.

8) Also in 1961, Ernest Hemingway took his own life.  Did you read Hemingway in English class?   Can you recall any other novels you read for school?
We did not read any Hemingway.   We read a good deal of Shakespeare, Steinbeck, Victor Hugo,  and a good deal of Charles Dickens.
 
9) Random question: Think about the last "white lie" you told.    Was it to make your own day easier or spare someone's feelings?
I suppose to spare feelings.



Summer is going by quickly. I hope you enjoy what is left of it.   Here baseball, races and boardwalk are planned activities. What will you be doing?   



 

4 comments:

  1. I adore the Muppets! I think that Pepe, the King Prawn is my favorite. I vaguely remember the Jimmy Dean Show and Rowlf. I always loved listening to Jimmy sing. I think that fashion sense can be easy for some, and not for others. When I was younger, I was more driven by the fashion of the day but as I got older, I learned what felt good and looked good. I just read "The Old Man and the Sea" a few weeks ago - the first Hemingway work I've read. I didn't know he took his own life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sparing feelings is a good reason for "white lies" because there is no reason to be unkind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Planned activities...I have been working in my classroom all week and it is pretty much ready to go, but I need to do some things for work here at home. I need to type out my parent names and phone numbers list and do one more online training for school. I have some shows to watch and baseball games to watch and I want to read some more. :) Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, we share the favorite breakfast, although I like coffee, grin. Thank you for your kind thoughts on my blog--I sort of answered the thought/comment in the new blog post...just keeping it real...and I miss you too...truly I do. Much love and hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.