Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Autumn Trip

sunny today


T
uesday came quickly as it seems I just did a Tuesday 4. It's low 60°F tonight and the days are humid lately but not overly warm. Tuesday promises to be in the low 80

°

F and pleasant. 
Not a bad forecast but we do need rain.  My Lilac bush is a crispy critter.  I was given 4 bushes by a friend years ago from his farm.  One grew very vigorously and one struggles along.  I have not applied the remedy so it's my own fault.  I have found that to get trees and shrubs to grow like wildfire you must let water trickle on their roots for most of a day.. as long as you can.  Once the ground is saturated at its roots, it seems to encourage deeper growth or at least that is my theory.

Of course I am joining in with Tuesday 4.  If I don't Toni will have some choice words for me later on. 

 Welcome back to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4 where we put 4 questions up each week for you to ponder and answer.  Then we hope you visit all the other participants too. so we can get to know one another better.

Let''s plan a lovely vacation through New England to see the Autumn leaves..  Money is no object and we have all the time we would like.

1. How many days and  nights would you like to be away? Two week to a month.  I haven't had a vacation in decades.


2. What kind of car would you like to take on this trip? Maybe you would enjoy the train? Would you sail up the coast in a yacht?

I would love a big solid SUV with plenty of leg room.. A train rocks.. the cruise on a yacht would be outrageous.

3. Would side trips be on your agenda? Perhaps to Mystic, Connecticut, Salem, Massachusetts, Plimouth, (yes, they spelled it with an "i" ) Massachusetts, Walden Pond, Lizzie Borden's home or maybe the home of  Emily Dickenson, etc.  

I have been to Walden Pond.. nice and quiet.  I know that Salem is a commercial joke but I would love the rest of it.  I'd want to go to Camden Maine.  I like the New Hampshire seaside. There isn't much of it but its nice.

4. Lobster roll, chowders, boiled dinners, brown bread, baked beans,  pancakes with real maple syrup, blueberry muffins, Parker House Rolls (well loved by Charles Dickens, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow,  the Kennedy clan.), Toll House Cookies, Red Flannel Hash, Tourtiere  pork pie, (Recipe here)— what native foods catch your attention?

Toll house Cookies, Red Flannel, Parker House Rolls, baked beans , chowder. It all interests me.  I make boiled dinner quite often too.

  .  Here is a recipe  for the hash that I found a while back that might interest you. 

   Red Flannel Hash

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced beets, drained and chopped


2 cups chopped cooked corned beef

2-1/2 cups diced cooked potatoes

1 medium onion, chopped

1/4 cup half-and-half cream

2 tablespoons butter, melted

2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add all remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir until lightly browned and heated through, 20 minutes.



6 comments:

  1. Hampton Beach in NH was the first time I saw the ocean so I'd agree the NH seaside is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walden Pond sounds nice! Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these questions this week. Of course it makes me wish I could be back up in NH and Maine right now. This was our time to be there with our family for our grandson's birthday...always a perfect time of the year to be there. If gas prices weren't so high I might be tempted to just jump in the car and go...well, if I could get my husband to drive that far, which he won't, so we'd have to jump on a plane and go and then maybe get a car and drive around. That would be so nice. Thank you for taking me back in my mind anyway. It's a pleasant memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, thanks for the questions this week, Annie. I enjoyed your answers. I hope you get to take a trip up there sometimes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The SUV we had for our Lake Tahoe trip was really nice! I mentioned it in my blog post. I do want to go on another cruise. I don't like beets, so maybe I would use yams in that recipe. But then there would be two potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A month would be awesome..I've been writing down places that people have mentioned. This is perfect since we're heading there in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.