Friday, January 27, 2023

Atcheson, Topeka and the Santa Fe

One of my greatest loves in life is trains. As a devoted railfan I watch them daily. The Santa Fe Super Chief is one of the all time greats.
 Friday Photos/Skywatch is back as I was able to fix the layout.  It is below this post.
  
Saturday 9: On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe (1946)

 "Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!
Unfamiliar with this week's tune?   Hear it   here."
 
1) In this song, Judy Garland sings about the train whistle and wheels. What sounds make you happy?
 Well, one is the sound of a train whistle. Especially the old triple chime which I adore.
Having grown up across from the railroad and going to watch them daily with my grandpa, I learned to love everything about trains.
Here is the triple chime on the Jersey Central.


2) She tells us that, since she loves dreaming of train travel, she must have "a little gypsy in her heart." How about you? Do you often dream of visiting faraway places?
I dream of railroads and traveling on them across the nation or even on the Orient Express. I dream of living in other places for a while then moving on.. Like Maine, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho or even back to Utah.

3) Judy sings about a future when she's "old and gray and settled down." At what age do you consider a person is old?
 I suppose once they are frail and withered away and the voice has gone.    Aches and pains are happening to people in their 40-60 now and it isn't natural at all.  Poor health abounds from rotten processed foods , bioengineering and poor water quality.


4) This song is from the movie, The Harvey Girls. Filming was a time of stress for Judy. She was appearing before the cameras by day (she sprained her ankle in a scene where slips down a hill), recording the soundtrack by night, and dealing with lawyers regarding her divorce from composer David Rose. Yet watching the movie, none of the tension shows. Do you work well under pressure?
Poor Judy, she created her own nesses.          I can work under pressure but it's not a good way to live life. 

5) Judy relaxed on the set by knitting and would make blankets and caps for the children of crew members. Do you knit?    I prefer to crochet.

 
Queen size afghan I made

6) Judy admitted she had a problem with tardiness.    Do you strive to be prompt?   Yes I try.
 
7) In 1946, when this song was on the radio, cigarette cases were very popular. Since these metal cases were standard issue in the Army during WWII, many soldiers got into the habit of using them and continued to after the war ended. Women often carried fabric or leather cigarette cases that closed with a clasp like a coin purse. In the 1940s, elegant cigarette cases were a fashionable gift but today, they are largely forgotten. Did you ever carry one? Do you know anyone who did?
My mother had a nice leather one with a flip top on it.  I never smoked so, no I didn't carry one.
 
8) Also in 1946, bikinis appeared for the first time on runways in Paris. How often did you don swimwear during 2022?
Not at all in 2022 .  

9) Random question: Thinking of your past romantic involvements, were you truly in love with one of them, some of them, or all of them?
"Well now, that is none of your beeswax my friend", she said in her best John Wayne accent as nicely as possible. Then, drawing her .45 out of her holster, she fired.  "Bang".
 

13 comments:

  1. Sorry you removed the skywatch friday post! But oh well, I am a train fan also.

    One of the great adventures of my life is a train trip our family took in the mid 1960's from Utah to Connecticut to see my grandparents for Christmas. I was in 5th grade and we took the California Zephyr to Chicago. What a ride. I spent much time in the dome car, going across (and through the Rockies) and across the lonely farmlands of the midwest to Chicago. Then on to the New York Central to New York City (the final leg along the Hudson River and through New York City. And then the New Haven RR to New London. It was amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skywatch post is fixed. I'd have loved a train trip like the one you took!!

      Delete
  2. Your #9 answer amused me, even if it wasn't an answer at all! LOL As for #3, well, living into our 40s, 60s, certainly our 70s-80s-90s and beyond isn't terribly "natural" really, either, and is a relatively new phenomenon with modern medicine. That being said, my I'm 46 now, and my body has completely fallen apart, so you are right. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I'm laughing at your last answer!!! We want ask you any more questions now...you are excused from the stand! hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answer to the last question. lol What a cool whistle that train has. I need to start listening to the whistles when I see a train. That crocheted blanket is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the whistle of that train!! When I was young we didn't have whistles anymore, but bells at the side of the rails.
    Haha...your last answer!!!!

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. #5 A friend offered to teach me crocheting but I don't have the patience. My mind wanders too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived close to railroads my whole life until this house I live in now. I love the sound of trains. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having traveled on commuter railroads for a large portion of my career, I’ve lost my fascination with trains …

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer crocheting to knitting, but I'm not a big fan of either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sound of trains. I remember hearing them when I spent the night at my grandmas. I thought for sure would say yes to the swimsuit since you love by the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the post.... As a child I would go up with the Mail lady to where they would "catch" the mail ... the sound and fury as the train flew by,.... :) then he would wave after he caught it... sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.