Saturday, May 6, 2023

Come on Over
Saturday 9



W
eather has been very cool and rain off and on but we are promised sunshine this weekend. Who knows.  
Weather is so variable in Spring isn't it?      I see that most of the country has had odd weather this year,  Even the Farmer's Almanac seems confused about it.
odd weather


Right now, I am listening to a podcast about a new book on the Lindbergh kidnapping case by a judge who has done more research than anyone before now.   It really does seem Charles killed the child.   He was  cold to the baby since it had physical problems and was a bit slow in development from lack of oxygen.  Lindbergh had dominated his wife terribly and forced her to fly with him while in early pregnancy at a high altitude where she had to be hospitalized due to a lack of oxygen!  The baby suffered many problems as a result.  
 In the presence of guests, Lindbergh would knock the toddler down as he tried to walk... a child with rickets and brittle bones.. and it was every time the baby got up to walk.  He was a child abuser in spades.  The upshot if that she believes, as do many others, that Charles Lindberg killed the child.   The proof she provides is pretty convincing.  
Baby Charles Lindbergh Jr.
 
Lindbergh had the professionals taken off the case (so great was his fame and power) and he took over himself, ruining clues, etc.  The first 2 police detectives on the scene were very suspicious of him.
Lindbergh was know for cruel practical 'jokes'.  In one, the put kerosene into a drink container of a 'friend' and the friend nearly died as a result of taking a big swig of the drink.   Lindbergh was well known for his sadistic ways.    He spent the entirety of the investigation playing jokes on people and laughing while his wife suffered greatly.
 The book is by Lise Pearlman and is titled  The Lindbergh Kidnapping Suspect No. 1: The Man Who Got Away .
The podcast interview  about the book  is  HERE

Welcome to Saturday  9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!

  Come On-A My House (1951)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune?   Hear it here.

1) In this week's song, Rosemary Clooney offers us candy, peaches, pears, grapes, cake, etc. What tasty treat are you craving this morning?
I always enjoy pancakes or French toast but seldom eat them anymore.
 
2) The song was co-written by a pair of cousins more famous for their other jobs. William Saroyan was a Pulitzer Prize winning author and Ross Bagdasarian created Alvin and the Chipmunks. Tell us about one of your cousins. 
I only had one blood cousin on my mother's side of the family.    I have lost touch with him. He is much older than I am and might be gone by now.  We didn't have much contact as we always lived in different places and he was so very much older.  He was a good guy though I never really got to know him.

3) The song was inspired by the cousins' recollection of their Armenian relatives encouraging friends and family to visit by promising lots of food. Who most recently invited you to their home? What was the occasion?
Thanksgiving was the last time.

4) This was a big hit for Rosemary Clooney. She got her start singing live on Cincinnati's WLW radio station. Today WLW is an all-news station. When you were a kid, what radio station did you tune into for the hits and new music?
There were a few...  WABC, WNEW, WCBS, WINS 1010, WOR  all New York City based stations.

5) Rosemary was also an actress, appearing in motion pictures and made-for-TV movies. The most famous is 1954's White Christmas. Have you seen it?
Yes, I watched it once long ago on TV  


5) Yes, Rosemary Clooney is related to George Clooney. She was his aunt. She appeared with him on ER and received an Emmy Award nomination. Do you enjoy doctor shows?
No, I am not a fan of doctor or medical shows at all because they are so fake and I was never a fan of stories that play on your emotions.

7) In 1951, when this song was #1, Yankees superstar Joe DiMaggio retired from baseball. He remained in the public eye, endorsing products and acting as Major League Baseball's ambassador around the world. His second marriage, a few years after his retirement, was almost as legendary as his baseball career. Without looking it up, do you know who his bride was?'
Yes, Marilyn  Monroe.    Too bad they didn't remain together.
 
8) Also in 1951, I Love Lucy premiered and has never been off the air since. That's right: for 72 years, without interruption, viewers have been entertained by the Ricardos and Mertzes. When you think of I Love Lucy, what's the first thing that comes to mind?
Being  sick is the first thing to come to mind as that was the only time I might have watched it since I was just not a fan of it.  It was one of the only daytime reruns on in the morning/afternoon on sick days from school.  

9) Random question -- You're playing roulette and suddenly doubled your winnings. Do you walk away when you're ahead, or do you stay at the table to play your winning streak?
I will walk. off with the winnings.


6 comments:

  1. I had very few immediate cousins, too, and am not in touch with them these days (though I do keep in touch with some of their children). I used to dream of being part of a big family when I was a kid, but now I know that isn't always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 I usually make them on Sunday morning for brunch. The other mornings I usually have a light breakfast.
    #4 When I drive to my niece's in New Jersey I listen to WCBS for traffic & weather to find out how far the bridges are backed up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had some French toast the other day after at least two decades without them. I used to love them, but I did not enjoy these at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I've never given the Lindbergh kidnapping a thought but now I am intrigued. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had read that somewhere about the Lindbergh's...so sad. I love French toast, smiles. I hope you're having a beautiful day, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, the Lindbergh story was terrible!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.