Monday, July 3, 2023

Independence Day, July 4, 1776

My friend and I will be obsrving Independence day with a little afternoon indoor picnic with hamburger, hot dogs, potato salad and home made apple pie. Then we may go over to the park on the water to watch some fireworks over the bay. You can see several towns that way.
 Tuesday 4 is up and I hope you will join in.
In the meantime, I hope you remember the deep significance of the day, the men and women who died to secure your liberty and the huge sacrifices the Signers of the Declaration made. Everyone of them gave their life and lost their fortunes for those words.
Here are my answers to Tuesday 4 this week.

Independence Day, July 4, 1776


Happy 4th of July and a warm welcome to Tuesday 4 from the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Let's talk about the day....

1. What is your tradition for July 4th? Do you read the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights?

I do, yes.  In pioneer times they always read them out loud so people would know remember why we wanted freedom, and what that freedom purchased for us.  Everyone of the Bill of Rights  was a correction of the tyranny and abuse we suffered under  despotic English rule.... women raped by British troops incessently, children as young as 5 hanged for refusing to polish British boots, houses confiscated, people beaten and subjugated on British whim, horrific prison ships,  atrocities committed  all across the 13 colonies./  The piles of American patriot bodies who died to hold up our flag and the origin of our national anthem.

2.  Does your town do it up big for the holiday?   It sure does.  We have a huge fireworks display over the bay. Band concerts, picnics, games, parades. 

3. Do you fly the flag?  All my neighbors do and I used to but now with my back and being alone I can't get it up and down. I don't have a light for it so I can display all day and night.  I need a small one to put in my planter I think.

4.   Have you visited Philadelphia, Pennsylvania our first capital? What did you see there?

For sure!   I live an hour from Philly and been there many times including to take the tour of Independence Hall, Betsy Ross' house, all of it. Revolutionary war sites are all over the place


in New Jersey and near Pennsylvania.  I've been to Washington's winter home in Morristown, my hometown was home to a battle field hospital. And of course Washington  Crossing is in NJ.    I was born in a town on the main highway during those times.  Also been to  Valley Forge which is a very moving place to visit.

Here you can hear the real liberty bell rung in Liberty Square, Philadelphia Pa.


 


 

6 comments:

  1. Wishing you a beautiful day. I don't think Marion County is doing fireworks, actually they haven't since 2020. ANYWAYS, I bet watching fireworks over the bay/water would be cool. Actually, if they did or whatever, I couldn't stay up that late due to having to get up early for wok on Wed. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great questions again this week. Hoping you have a great day and your dinner sounds very similar to our plans this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you will be having a lovely day today. I hope it all worked out as planned. It is very hot here, and we ended up with the kids back over here for some grilled chicken, thanks to Scott coming back down for the day. We did drive through our little town this morning to see what was happening, and they were lining up for a parade, and then there will be activities in the park all day with fireworks tonight. We may go see the fireworks tonight, but it was too hot to do anything else outdoors. It was already 90 degrees at 10 a.m.! Hope you are having a wonderful day. Thank you again for doing the questions for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S., I love your header picture. Such talent dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ENjoyed your answers and hope you had a great day

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live near Morristown! I don't think I appreciated all of that history as a child, but now as an adult I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.