Monday, August 14, 2023

It's For The Birds


Hey there Tuesday 4 fans.  It's so good to have you back.  I hope your week went well and if it didn't then I
hope the coming week is stellar for you.

Can we talk about the birds today? Did you know that birds sing all day long but particularly 3 times a day which correspond to the prayers of Daniel the Prophet. His 3 prayer daily corresponded to the 3 daily services in the temple at Jerusalem..  

1. Do you have a favorite bird?

I like several.. seagulls, sandpipers, chickadees,  cardinals, bluejays... owls. NJ has tons of wild Parakeets too.

2. Do you find singing birds comforting or annoying?  Both!  Sometimes they just don't shut up!   Other times they are a sweet comfort.

3. Can you recognize the songs of particular birds or is it all the same to you?

I know the call of seagulls, hawks, eagles as they are always around here.   I love the big barn owls I hear in the woods all the time.  I think I know the sound of a catbird  and the bluejay  and  the crow and whippoorwill. 

4. Every year many birds die from being fed too much sugar.  Grape jelly glues shut the beaks of birds and honey , corn syrup or other substitutes to white sugar does the same to humming birds. We are warned to use only white refined sugar for humming birds.             Do you feed the birds or provide water or shelter for them?

I had put up several bird houses, I have 2 ponds they can use and a bird bath for them.   The pond also attracts some insects that birds can eat.   I watched some big birds bathing in the little pond today. I placed rocks along the side  in the water building them up so a bird can stand in shallow water to drink and have a bath.

I used to put out food but I prefer them to get their own food so they are fully able.   When birds are migrating in late fall I will throw out food for them.   I throw out old celery, lettuce, apples, etc for birds and small animals to eat.  I have forest in my backyard so they like that.

(Always use refined white sugar (regular table sugar). Never use honey, corn syrup or raw, unprocessed sugars. Powdered sugar (also called confectioners' sugar) often contains additional ingredients, such as cornstarch. Therefore, it is not recommended for use in creating hummingbird food)

5 comments:

  1. Good questions this week. I love hearing the birds in the early morning especially. I forgot about seagulls. I enjoy them so much when I get to the beach. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy watching birds at our feeders. Sometimes there are so many they fight for a place at the table☺. When I came home from the hospital after covid Mr D put hung a bird feeder just outside the bedroom window so I could enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so romatic! yes, I love the sounds of the seabirds too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for coming up with these questions this week! Birds is a topic I can usually find something to say about! LOL. Watching the birds has long been a favorite hobby of mine. And yes, you are blessed to live by the woods and the sea, so you get a good variety of all kinds of birds! God created them all to enjoy and also give Him praise!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your answers. Our yard isn't very bird friendly at the moment, though I'd like to make it moreso that way...however, I'd have to keep things away from the house so they wouldn't poop all over the house and porch.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.