Friday, September 29, 2023

On a Clear Day...

Saturday 9: On a Clear Day (1970)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) Is today a clear day where you are?
No. A lot of hurricanes, nor'easters and tropical storms are off the coast and we have had more than a week of constant rain, much flooding ,etc. It is raining now, will be raining on Saturday also. (I do not post on Saturdays so these posts are written ahead of time and go  up automatically.)
 
2) Streisand sings that today she's "astounded." What has recently shocked or greatly surprised you?
The attitude of someone I thought loved me but who refused to give me understanding and patience, though in the past they had asked for my patience, which I gave.   The same understanding was not given to me nor was there a desire to work things out.

3) Streisand's voice astounded people from an early age. She began performing in New York clubs when she was only 18, too young to order a drink in the establishments where she sang. Do you remember the first adult beverage you ordered at a restaurant or bar?
No. I really don't drink alcohol and have little to no experience with it.

4) Barbra has discussed the importance of her Jewish faith in her life and has enlisted the guidance of Reform, Conservative and and Orthodox rabbis as she explored her religion's complexities. Do you enjoy discussing religion?
Yes! I love it. I won't argue though, but I will discuss.  As Iron sharpens iron so one person sharpens another.. Proverbs.   When iron sharpens iron, sparks can fly but it is a good way to learn.

5) Taylor Swift just passed Barbra Streisand as the woman with the most #1 albums (12). What's the last album you purchased?
I bought some oldies but goodies.. the soundtrack to the first Pink Panther. I love the songs by  Henry Mancini 

           
 I also bought the songs from the TV program Mission Impossible by Lalo Schifrin and I love those songs as well. 

6) The lyrics to "On a Clear Day" were written by Alan Jay Lerner. He attended Choate, a private boarding school in CT, at the same time as John F. Kennedy. While JFK was in the White House, Lerner had two major Broadway hits -- Camelot and My Fair Lady -- running concurrently. Obviously those two Choate alumni did very well. Have you been to any of your class reunions? Have you been surprised, pleasantly or less so, by how any of your classmates turned out?
No.  I was not interested.  My late husband attended a Prep school like Choate and we did attend one of those where everyone was super successful and rich but they were sons of ambassadors, presidents, corporate big wigs, etc. You know.,. preppies.

7) The music was written by Burton Lane. In the 1930s, Lane worked for MGM Studios in Hollywood. After he heard Judy Garland perform at the Paramount Theater in Los Angeles, he brought her to the attention of his studio bosses and the rest, as they say, is history. Lane and Garland later worked together when Judy was an established star. He wrote the song, "How About You?" for her to sing in Babes on Broadway and received an Oscar nomination. Judy's best known movie has to be The Wizard of Oz. How many times have you seen it?
Once was quite enough.  I found it very creepy.

8) In 1970, Glenn Frey formed the Eagles. What's your favorite Eagles song?
Take it to the Limit

9) Random question: Which would upset you more, being trapped in an elevator or stranded atop a mountain in a ski lift?
Ski lift I think but neither one is a great option. I will hopefully avoid both!
 

6 comments:

  1. I am sorry about #2...wish I could give you a hug my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it hurts when someone doesn’t give you the love and respect you’ve given them.

    ReplyDelete

  3. #1 Yup. The Cape and also my house in Connecticut got pounded. The rain is just tapering off here.
    #5 Henry Mancini wrote some great theme songs.
    #9 Speaking from experience, got stuck in an elevator a ski lift can get very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iron sharpens iron is okay, Bing stabbed is not! Sorry you got hurt. Henry Mancini and Bacharach, were great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. #9, I agree with you! Neither is a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about #2 ! I think women are far more accommodating to the needs of others , as nurturers , and "take" far too much from those we love , who don't seem to return our understanding , patience , genuine concern and love . The astounding thing is that what we ask for is not costly , complicated , nor unreasonable!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.