Friday, December 15, 2023

The Christmas Blues


 
 


Saturday 9: The Christmas Blues (1953)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune?               Hear it here.  
 
1) In this song, Dean Martin sings that the streets are white with snow. Do you anticipate a White Christmas this year?
We may have snow this weekend and yes, there are predictions of snow for Christmas.
2) He tells us he's done plenty of window shopping this season. Do you find you're influenced by a retailer's window dressing and store décor? Are you more motivated by price? Or do you do most of your shopping online, making holiday decorations irrelevant?
 I sincerely hope that online shopping becomes a thing of the past.  While there are  a few benefits, we had catalogs when I was growing up and that is also a nice way to shop.  I usually go shopping for gifts and find it rewarding because I am with people.  
I love decorated store windows for Christmas!!  When I was a teen the school art classes would paint store windows downtown. 
3) Dean was born in Steubenville, OH. Though he rarely returned to his hometown, it was in his thoughts during the holidays. Every Christmas he made like Santa and sent toys to hospitalized children in the Steubenville area. Are there toys on your shopping list this year?
Maybe for the new doggies but not for kids though there is a great game I might buy for the family.
4) He had fast hands when it came to cards and before he was famous he worked as a dealer in Atlantic City. When you play cards, what's your favorite game?
I don't play cards.   As a kid I played Old Maid but, otherwise I don't play cards.  My husband loved Hearts and was disappointed we didn't play.
5) Dean Martin was an avid reader ... of comic books. Especially in bed when he was on the road and couldn't sleep. Much as he enjoyed comic books, he was embarrassed by them. What do you do when you can't sleep?
I loved comic books.. Archie and Veronica, Little Lotta, Richie Rich were onces I really liked.
When I can't sleep it is usually because my spine hurts.  So lying in bed is not a good idea.  I get up, make some coffee or tea and a hot water bottle then play on the internet until I feel better then go back to sleep. No coffee doesn't keep me up.  I fall asleep pretty well.
Now let's have a few holiday-specific questions:

 
6) Every year, the United States Postal Service introduces special holiday stamps. Do you purchase them?
 I should but, not this year.  I tried a few years back to get people into sending cards but few did and it was so disappointing that I lost heart.
7) Do you have a funny/ugly holiday sweater?
 Yes. My daughter bought it for me to go to a winter sing along/ugly sweater night.
8) Do you wrap your presents or use gift bags?
I wrap them usually unless the only option is a bag.  I love beautifully wrapped presents.
9) We're doing Christmas karaoke! What holiday or winter-themed song will you perform?
I sing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas pretty well... and The Christmas Song. so probably those.   


9 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post. I'm curious what that game might be and whether I should get it for MY family to play, too! LOL I'm with you about the Christmas cards; I've lost heart this year, too. Maybe I'll rally next year. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oldies but goodies Christmas/holiday music is the best! Wishing you and yours a warm winter season and a bright new year! Cherie's Arts 'n Crafts blogger, Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your answers to these fun questions Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I send out cards even if I don't get them back, although after a while I stop sending them to folks if it's been years since I heard from them. I sent out about 60 and so far I've received 15 back. I try not to keep count and remember that I am sending them because I care about these folks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's frustrating that I can't comment on my own blog!!! You asked about stamps. I meant Christmas stamps from previous years. I'm currently using the Peanuts stamps and have a lot of them. I disagree with you 100% on on-line shopping. I have difficulty walking around and on-line shopping makes my Christmas so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stopped sending cards when postage started getting so high -- I was sending to about 100 people. Now I write a Christmas letter that I send as a .pdf to people. It may be tacky, but I love doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings !
    Interesting questions...
    My gifts this year are coming from my kitchen , and except for two families , all are local .
    No cards were sent this year , but those to ny neighbors were hand-delivered .
    Doing the best I can , with what I have !
    Hoping you all have meaningful , wonderful holidays with those who love you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sleepy fingers...should have typed MY neighbors...sigh...

      Delete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.