Saturday, January 13, 2024

Hotel California

Happy weekend friends. I hope your weekend will be a good one. More storm here this weekend.


Saturday 9: Hotel California (1977)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.       Of all the Eagles songs I actively dislike this one. It's creepy.
 
1) In this song, Don Henley called the hotel's front desk and asked, "Please bring me my wine." He was told they haven't had wine since 1969. When did you last have a glass of wine?
I don't think I have ever had a glass of wine but I have had wine, just not a lot.  I am allergic to grapes. They make me red all over , hot and then I get a miserable migraine.

2) The lyrics refer to wine as a "spirit." That is incorrect. Wines are fermented, not distilled, and have a lower alcohol content than spirits. When "Hotel California" was popular, listeners who were into wine called radio stations to let them know about the mistake. Are you a wine aficionado? Are any of your friends or family knowledgeable about wine?
I know very little. I don't think my family know much either.

3) In the song, Henley sings about looking for the door that will take him "back to the place I was before." Don says that refers to a loss of innocence and a longing for a simpler time. When you think about "the good old days," where does your mind wander to?
 When I was a kid and a teenager.

4) With five #1 singles, six #1 albums, and six Grammy awards, it's generally agreed that the Eagles were one of the most popular groups of the 1970s. Which decade produced most of your favorite songs?
 I will say the late 70s through the  80's.

5) The Eagles were formed in 1971 when four of them happened to find themselves hired to play back up for Linda Ronstadt. The men found they really hit off and wanted to keep working together when the gig with Linda was up. Tell us about how you met someone important in your life.
 
6) The Eagles are still on the road, filling big arenas for their Long Goodbye tour. One explanation for their enduring popularity is that their music spans genres. They scored hits on the rock, pop and country charts. Other popular categories of music include classical, gospel, jazz, Latin, reggae, New Age, and rap. Which do you listen to most often? Which did you listen to most recently?
 I listen to music from the 40's- 50s , mystery radio shows, and background light jazz on YouTube.
I like Mariachi music.   My neighbors had a mariachi band in their yard a few years back.  My daughter in law, who is Costa  Rican, and I had a wonderful time dancing around to the music.
 Last song was Man of La Mancha by Linda Eder.
 
7) In 1976, when "Hotel California" was topping the charts, the trend in home décor was vibrant. Intense copper, bright pink and vivid avocado were among the popular colors for bath towels, mats and shower curtains that year. If we were to peek into your 2024 bathroom(s), what colors would we find?
 My bathroom is undergoing serious repair. The faucet is black for the new shower and sink. Floors are white/gray marble and there is white/gray marble in the shower.. or will be. So there are no colors right now.   I will show photos when its finished. Right now the ceilings are being replaced because of all the water damage.
8) Handbags were big in 1976. Not just in popularity but in size. Purses routinely had compartments on the inside and pockets on the outside. When you leave the house, do you travel light? Or do you prefer to carry a lot with you?
I travel light. I don't like being burdened down with a mess.

9) Random question -- How different is your life today than it was a year ago: (a) a lot; (b) a little); (c) not at all? It has changed a  lot for the better.
This year I am free and enjoying life. I see the many blessings I have been given.
Annie

5 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear your life has gotten better this year! Looking forward to photos of the new bathroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like a small handbag too. I am excited about your updates in your house! Enjoy! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend! ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the bathroom reconstruction goes well and you have a pretty new room soon. Happy Wintertime back to you dear blogger friend. ☻♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy light jazz from time to time, too. Just this week I introduced the consumers at work to it and to their surprise they really liked it and they requested it be played a few more times during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning , to you all !
    On this beautiful morning , ( the calm before the storm ? ) I'm watching a pair of Mourning Doves in my neighbor's tree . They are in their puffy down coats , snuggling together on a high branch...so cute ! Hopefully the coming storms will cause no damage to life , nor limb , and all will be safe and warm !

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.