Saturday, May 25, 2024

God Bless America


Happy Weekend friends. I do hope your Memorial Day weekend is meaningful aa we remember those who gave their lives in service of their nation.  


Saturday 9: God Bless America

Unfamiliar with Deanna Durbin's rendition of week's tune? Hear it HERE

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. 
This week's Saturday 9 is from the archives.

1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day, this is when memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?
Yes. In NJ almost every town has memorials.

2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our Presidents?
Yes.  When I was young I met and spoke briefly with President Eisenhower just before he passed away.  Jimmy Carter is related to my daughter through her father.   They are cousins. Jimmy Carter is a kind, loving man. The real deal friends.

3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend?   

No, I will be home and have my friend over for hot dogs, potato salad, and ice cream for dessert.

4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?
Hot dogs and potato salad.  I learned to make Uncle John's potato salad while in Lake Placid. It contains both mustard seed and some Balsamic vinegar.  He was not my uncle but a friends and everyone called him Uncle John.  It was the finest potato salad I ever had tasted.  At a get together in Lake Placid that autumn it was impossible to keep enough potato salad around for everyone!

5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?
I had my bedroom ac on all night. It automatically goes on and off to control the temperature.  The room had been very humid and I just cannot stand high humidity at all.

6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA?
Yes. I have more relatives in Canada and overseas than I have here.

7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen.
I can recommend The Majestic with Jim Carey.  Right now it is free with ads on YouTube.

If you would like an old movie I recommend A Date with Judy starring Jane Powell, Robert Stack, Elizabeth Taylor. It is also available on YouTube Movies for $3.99 or you can buy it for $9.99.
8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction?
I have never been to Los Angeles.   Even though I lived in Utah for a long time I never got to California.  I do think it's a gorgeous state though.


9) Random question: What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now?
I liked more foods as a child than I do now! I really can't think of a food I hated as a child but like now.

16 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your answers, Annie. Hope you have a great Memorial Day Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "hot dogs, potato salad, and ice cream for dessert"

    A simple meal, but somehow these foods always feel patriotic and summery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're home too for the weekend. I think my husband mentioned chicken on the grill. Wishing you a beautiful day, Annie. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Martha Jane.. Happy Memorial Day to you as well.

      Delete
  5. The Majestic is a good movie. I am not a big Jim Cary fan but I did like that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie didn't get good reviews but yes, I sure did like it.

      Delete
  6. That potato salad sounds good! I agree that Jimmy Carter is a kind person and a great example of a true Christian. Love one another and serve one another. Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when I find a food that everyone LOVES. That is great you have the potato salad.
    The humidity just kills me, I cannot breathe. I have the A/C on also.
    Have a great tune with your friend! Loved your answers! Have a Happy Memorial Day! ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love potato salad and baked beans.
    Have already decorated graves.
    Have the air conditioner on.
    Have a good Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be very sad when Jimmy Carter passes, he is a wonderful human being and an example to us all.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.