Saturday, August 25, 2018

Saturday Nine!

Time for Saturday 9...
Think (1968)
Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.

In fond remembrance of The Queen of Soul (1942-2018).
 

  1) As befits one of America's premiere artists, Aretha Franklin sang at three Presidential inaugurations. The first was Jimmy Carter's in 1977, when she sang "God Bless America." What's your favorite patriotic song?
 

America the Beautiful and the Star Spangled Banner.

2) The daughter of a Baptist minister, Aretha grew up with church music. She told Rolling Stone one of her favorite songs was the hymn, "Victory Is Mine." What's your favorite religious song?
 

  Shir Lama'alot which is Psalm 121




3) She welled up a bit when President George H. W. Bush presented her with the nation's highest civilian award, the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005. When is the last time you shed a tear?
 

Often and a lot... so, don't ask.

4) In 1980, the Queen of Soul sang for the Queen of England in a Command Performance at The Royal Albert Hall. Have you ever been to London?



No never been to London.

5) Since Aretha had many honorary degrees, it would have been appropriate to refer to her as Dr. Franklin. Who is the last person you referred to by his or her title (Officer, Father, Sgt., Dr., etc.)?


Dr. David Yeagley
 


6)  In this week's song, Aretha tells her lover that it doesn't take a high IQ to understand what's going on in their relationship. Do you know your IQ?

Yes, 148. 
 

7) A sculpture of Aretha is on display at Madame Tussaud's in New York. Do you think wax museums are cool, or creepy?

Cool!

8) Aretha and Motown legend Smokey Robinson were literally lifelong friends, since they were playground buddies in Detroit. Smokey is one of the only people who can claim to have seen The Queen of Soul with a bucket in a sandbox. If we went to the playground today, would you head for the swings, the slide or the jungle gym? Or, like Aretha, would you play in the sand?


The Swings!

9) Random question: Do you like pumpkin seeds?

They are okay, but not really a fan of them, no.


9 comments:

  1. Hi Annie! I am a fan of the swings too and I also cry a lot...I am blaming music though, music will always make me cry. I love your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie, Enjoyed your answers but I loved the video of the music Shir Lama'alot. Thank you for sharing that my friend. See you on the swings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shir means song and lamaalot means of ascent , so song of ascent. It was while climbing the temple stairs.

      Delete
  3. Ohhhhhhhhhh gf, lets not even talk about crying...I can usually keep things bottled up, but, lately...not so much. I blame the lack of hormones (grin).

    Hope you have a lovely Sunday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another informative post - thank you !
    Bagpipes playing always makes me well up...especially Amazing Grace at funerals...Ooooh my...also the deep-felt suffering of friends .
    I prefer the bench at the playground , especially if there is a water view...love watching people , surf , clouds and trees .
    Be well , my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that wonderful video! I have been privileged to visit many of those places and now I have a new artist to listen to. You are a very smart lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your answer to #9 because, well, I don't have a strong feeling about them, either. Glad to see I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most of us will be competing for the swings!! A fun Q & A!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.