Saturday, September 8, 2018

Weekend Rain and Saturday Nine!

Hello Saturday!
It's a rainy day today and only 67°F here at the New Jersey seashore.
Ocean temperature is 75-83°F which is way above normal for NJ. Normal (70-76°)
Wind gusts  up to 25 knots (32 mph)
Wave heights today are up there because of Florence 7 to 9 foot waves.
Rip current risk: high! Stay out of the water.
                         UV index is 1 which is very low.
                         Coastal flood advisory in effect from 6 PM to 11 PM EDT this evening
          As Florence gets closer I will go take some photos of the surf.
Saturday 9: Gotta Travel On (1959)




Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song,  Billy Grammer sings that "summer's almost gone, winter's coming on." When you look out your window, do you see any evidence that the seasons are changing?
  Yes, leaves are turning  yellow on  the Green Ash tree outside my kitchen window and in the woods lots of vines are turning red already.

2) He admits he has laid around and played around for too long. 
No. I consider them to be a time to relax and recharge but I keep moving and doing even when I feel awful.  My ex told me "you never rest" and once another man told me "you work as hard as any man I ever knew". So, I am not lazy.

3) Billy relaxed by fishing. Tell us about a visit you made to a pier, or a ride you took on a boat, this past year. (Bonus points if you went fishing!)
I live by a pier, docks, and am on them all the time. Can't fish anymore   because of my spine.

4) Born in 1925, Mr. Grammer was the eldest of 13 children. He and his wife Ruth were childless. What do you think is the ideal size for a family?
I think that is up to the couple. I always wanted 5 children and got 5, but helped to raise even more.  I had 2 sets of twins but lost one of each set.

5) This song was very popular on juke boxes back in 1959. When were you last in a bar or restaurant that had a juke box? Did you play it?
Last fall and yes, we played songs. The song was "All in the Game"  by Tommy Edwards

6) In 1959, movie tickets zoomed up in price to $1.00 and Ben Hur was the big blockbuster. What's the last movie you saw in a theater? Do you remember how much the ticket cost?
I didn't pay so I don't know. I saw "Christopher Robin".

7) Huckleberry Hound was a hit with the younger audience in 1959. What cartoon did you enjoy as a kid? 
I liked Looney Tunes and still do. Also liked the Batman cartoons.   I am still really pretty much 10. I just keep being 10 over and over again.

8) In 1959, continuing dramas (soap operas) were still broadcast each day on
the radio. When you turn on the radio, do you listen for talk, news, or music?
  I hear Old Time Radio, usually mystery radio on my computer all the time. I sometimes listen to talk radio, but not so much anymore.

9) Random question -- Which competition would you rather judge: The Pillsbury Bake Off, The Miss America Pageant, or Dancing with the Stars? 
Since I danced for many years, Dancing with the Stars.


Until tomorrow, keep the faith my friends.


22 comments:

  1. It is presently 58* here in western NY (and a welcome relief from 2 weeks of 100*)---we are under a flood watch until Tuesday. I guess your weather will affect us somehow. BTW, how did the anonymous kid first week go?

    Anyways, enjoyed your answers, Annie. I simply stunned at the weather forecast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She adores Rutgers, loves her roommates.. loves her classes. She's in a special dorm for pre-med students. All her roommates except one are from foreign countries.. Brazil, Poland, etc. They all get along well so far. So, its pretty good.

      Delete
  2. Northern Maine is chilly today--right about 60 degrees. I also saw Christopher Robin as my most recent movie, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am encouraged that you are seeing signs of autumn! Yay!!!
    I want to see Christopher Robin also, it looks so cute. Love your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the weather stays cooler but I think for now its just this hurricane approaching.

      Delete
  4. Fun questions again this week and I enjoyed your answers! So far, I am alone in judging the Pillsbury Bake Off, and there are lots of judges for DWTS!! Enjoy your weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been raining cats and dogs here and in the 70's. We are also under flash flood warning, but not worried. So happy to have rain. I love it. You have five children? Wow! I'm sorry for your losses. We saw Christopher Robin and really enjoyed it. I do remember that day cost close to $100 due to price of tickets and food we had in theater. I said never again. The food wasn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, finally someone else who notices the small changes in the seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you are "ten!" I hang on to that old adage about growing old being mandatory while growing up is optional. LOL Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely thinking . Please tell something about my captures on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello , there !
    Such good questions...
    My least favorite sign of approaching autumn is the brilliant red/orange leaf color change of the sassafras trees in... AUGUST !!!!! NOT ready to confront reality that early !
    My most favorite is the white , fragrant Autumn Clematis that grows along the roadside woods (and my garden)...that stark white is a gorgeous contrast to the scrub pine bark in the pine barrens .
    Have a wonderful day , my friend...hope you get to do something fun !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your answers. Praying that Florence doesn't come up your way after all, but I hate that it might hit the Carolinas, etc. I see signs of fall here already, which is amazing. The maple trees along the road near the river are changing already. I love that you are perpetually 10...I can relate to that, especially as I get older, I think I am getting younger in heart and mind. 2nd childhood syndrome... I did not realize that you had had two sets of twins and that two of them are in heaven. My heart goes out to you, as that had to be so very difficult. (((hugs))) to you. No matter what the age, they are our babies, and we will always have a special place in our hearts just for them. That's how I feel about my "baby" who lived to be 41 before God called him home. He still lives in my heart, and I know he lives in heaven...and I will see him again someday. Likewise you will have all of eternity to enjoy your precious babies. God bless you my friend. You are a very special lady!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great article..I am looking so forward to your blogcomment and
    I love your page on your post.. That is so pretty..
    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed all your answers. I remember "All In the Game" it was my favorite, so long ago and far away. I remember my girlfriend and I singing it all the time. We live only a few blocks from the bay and go there often. It's so peaceful there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Annie! I'm still learning so much about you. We do have a lot in common my kindred spirit friend. I have us all in prayer regarding Florence. This might be worse than Harvey they are saying. Have a blessed day dear Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Annie, praying you are safe with the hurricane approaching. No sign of fall here in So California. Hubby and I watch Dances With The Stars. Your water temperature is warmer than ours.Stay safe. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really want to see Christopher Robin. My daughter and son in law saw it and loved it! I've got you in my prayers for this weekend and the hurricane. I know that those things can change track at a moment's notice so be safe!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.