Saturday, August 31, 2019

Money for Nothing—Saturday 9

Just another weekend and last weekend ended just yesterday it seems!
Has time sped up? Why,yes, it has.  The earthquake and tsunami in  Fukushima, Japan sped up the earth's rotation by 1.8 microseconds and changed the way the earth's mass is distributed.
Has this happened before? Probably.  We know that the history of ancient times speaks of a 300 day year with 10 months. So, time has changed in epochs past, speeding up and slowing down.
The earth goes through time changes, climate changes and catastrophe over and over again but, mankind survives it all.
I am jo  taking part in Saturday 9 once again.


Money for Nothing (1985)
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it below.


1) Sweatbands are prominent in this very 1980s video. What's the last thing you wore on your head?
Zuma.

2) The lyrics are from the point of view of a man who delivers and installs appliances. What's the biggest purchase you've made lately? Was it big in size or expense?
 Refrigerator. It was both big and very expensive.

3) The delivery man of the song imagines the worst thing that happens to a musician is a blister on his little finger or thumb. Do you have any minor aches or pains bedeviling you as you answer these questions?
Minor adding insult to injury with the major.

4) The term "dire straits" describes a troubling situation that's difficult to extricate oneself from. When's the last time you found yourself in dire straits?
Nothing is dire. There is always the Kobiyashi Maru option.
However, I found myself in what could be termed dire straits many times.
1. left outside by family in a category 5 tornado.
2. dragged a mile down the coast in a riptide at age 10.
3. had a man hold a gun to my head intending to kill me.
In each situation I was taken care of and used my head to get out of them and yes, the Kobayashi Maru method does work. Never let a predator write the scenario for you. Rewrite things and save yourself.

5) There's a dinosaur called masiakasaurus knopfleri. It's a prehistoric, predatory lizard, and the paleontologists who discovered it were big Dire Straits fans, so they named it after lead singer/guitarist Mark Knopfler. Do you find dinosaurs fascinating, terrifying, or both?
Nothing terrifying about dead things. I find them fascinating.

6) Prior to his music career, Knopfler was a junior reporter, covering the entertainment beat for the Yorkshire Evening Post. Do you believe you would make a better musician or journalist?
Journalism as it should be, no longer exists.   Today, it's just 'think pieces' and editorializing. by left and right.. two decaying sides of the same horrible coin in my book.  I'd be a better musician. today since the climate for journalism is so bad.

7) In 1985, when this song was popular, rib eye steak was $3.89/pound. Today it's more than twice that. Do you have any beef in your freezer right now?
None right now. I need to shop.

8) In 1985, Michael Jordan won the NBA Rookie of the Year award after his first season with the Chicago Bulls. It was the beginning of a career that made him a hero and a household name. Who do you think today's young people look up to?
Young people look up to all the wrong people just as we did in 1985.  Real heroes are damned and condemned. Just look at how our ridiculous government (whoever president is or was) and the ridiculous Queen  give  medals of freedom  and knighthoods to  sports people and rock and movie stars for Pete sake!   That is the ridiculous world we live in.  Heroes my Aunt Fanny.

9) Random question: Friends take you to dinner for your birthday. The menu you're handed doesn't have any prices on it. Do you try to estimate the costs and choose what you guess is the least expensive entree? Or do you figure that since your friends want you to have a good time, you should order whatever you want?
If I am taken to dinner I would assume they mean for me to eat what I like and can actually have. I know what is super expensive and would not order that unless I had specific permission or was paying for myself.  It would depend what the cheapest thing was.  If it is something I hate, no way I will order it. 
I would order what is decent, not extremely pricey and good for me.  But,
just for the record, I don't want to go out for my birthday. I want a party at home with friends and family, a store bought fancy cake  from a great bakery and a wonderful dinner and games or a movie I like.

6 comments:

  1. "Rewrite things and save yourself."--amen. And I had no idea about the number 3, and I too, have been dragged in a riptide and its not fun, just saying, lets see, survived an EF 5 tornado and Hurricane Katrina, not going back, never. I enjoyed your answers. Hope you have a lovely Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was take by your dire straits... So glad you explained the KM method.. at firwt I hoped you wre being facetious about those terrible happenings... but after I realized golly I too have had some similar dire straits that required my rewite to extricate myself. Thanks for pointing that out to me through your answer... regarding the journalism I so agree with your answer,. IN todays world I would hope no child of mine would consider journalism... because of how it is downthese days. but funny when I was answering the question I was thinking back to 8th great when my favorite teacher was teaching a bit of news reporting in class and how I enjoyed her method so much. Answering the 5 w's... and being truthful! I guess I better practice up on my piano if I am ever required to be a musician..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your take on dire straights. I am the same way. I suppose everyone has gone through some bad times. I really do not think about it.
    Your words on journalism are correct. That is why I do not enjoy reading or watching the news. I am put off by it. Loved your answers! Have a nice Labor Day weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie, you hit the nail on the head with all your answers. I especially applaud your numbers 8 & 9. I didn't do this one as I'm not up to par in writing a post out. Have a lovely day with blessings ahead my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes to all !
    Have a safe and pleasant holiday weekend !

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.