Friday, January 3, 2020

Sky

A new decade and old photos for Friday Photos and Skywatch Friday. 
If you know me, you know I despise shutting things up into decades.  "I'm from the 60's.. 80's". As if that is all you ever were or will be.  "What was it like in YOUR generation?"
My generation? How stupid is that question.  My generation is any generation I am still alive in for goodness sake!

 Too much rain this season. No snow..just rain and iffy temperatures. It is winter, how about some winter weather for goodness sake?

Tonight,  looking at a lit  up Christmas tree, I was struck with unclear memories of the past, childhood I  think. Transported back to an indistinct time, I grew sad, almost ready to cry. And it tied up with losing one's name at marriage.
To me, it is a terrible thing for a girl to lose who she is to someone else.  Your name is gone forever.
If you look up your former friends online, you sometimes have a devil of a time finding them ever at all ..they just disappear into some man and are never heard of again by those who knew them back"when".
 Emily Dickinson said, a woman is “Born—Bridalled—Shrouded—/In a day”. Yes, I completely get that.
Notice that no one ever asks a woman "what do you do?". They ask men all the time, but rarely women. They will, however, ask a woman what her husband does. Hmm, isn't she worth knowing about?

 And now the sky.. happy and cloudy.







Tomorrow is Saturday 9... come back and visit , won't you?
Now.. back to my documentary on Lewis Carroll...

11 comments:

  1. I like your pictures.
    The one with the grasses is my favorite!
    Interesting your thoughts :-)
    Happy New Year 2020
    My sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. What’s in a name? That which we call a rose would smell as sweet ...

    And yet, when I married and took his name, I kept my own as a middle name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why when we got married I dropped my middle name (Anne with an E), and put my maiden name in there as my new legal name. Not hyphenated, but just so "I" would not be lost in my new world. I did feel that very keenly at first, but now I am very happy to simply be Pam Steiner. Our "winter" weather has been quite crazy here in Florida too. It is quite warm this morning, after being in the 40's the past few days. Looks like rain on the horizon, but we don't mind...it keeps the pond full! Have a blessed and joyful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photos...ah...yes, loosing ones self...been there, done it, and sometimes still...and I can't help think, it was my fault (or partly to blame). I allowed myself to be Mrs. or "Honey". I sometimes wonder, who is this Linda person. Just keeping it real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent photos, and great thoughts on losing one's name, and identity loss. It's true. Women have a lot harder time reconnecting with friends in social media than men do.

    I don't suscribe to a lot of the supposed generational differences. People are people is what I think.

    Have a great 2020!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Losing our identity...yes, I suppose we do. I think maybe that is why the empty nest is such a hard time for many of us. We have been completely wrapped up in our husbands, our children, our homes for 20 years or more and then *boom* it (or at least parts of it) are gone and we don't know who we are without it. That finding out who we are all over again can be difficult or it can be a great adventure. I'm guilty of taking it hard at first, before I figured out that this is MY time to be me and do what I want to do.

    Lovely photos. Happy Friday, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sky shots. Taking the last name of the husband does seem rather archaic. I'm guessing it's a tradition that will disappear with time, and probably for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much drama in wintry skies, especially near the coast! Beautiful photos, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always , your photos are beautiful !
    As to one's name , I remember the relief of going back to my maiden name...as though to begin to erase the burdens and pain of the past...now having the freedom to
    "find" me . I discovered two letters my mother had kept all these years from first and second grade teachers . They spoke in detail of who I was then and became most helpful in the current reconstruction . One is indeed blessed to have wise friends to help with this work-in-progress . A tee shirt's motto read "My friends are the sisters I've chosen " . Thanks , Sis !

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.