Friday, June 2, 2023

Simply the Best


It was 92F yesterday with 32% humidity and boy did it feel good.  Supposedly we are due for some rain on Saturday(I write these before hand) but, who knows.  Here right on the ocean weather is not predictable because of the off shore and on shore winds that knock weather fronts away or bring them in unexpectedly.  

I am joining in with Saturday 9
  The Best (1991)

In memory of Tina Turner, who died on May 24.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune?  Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Tina Turner sings that she can think of no better place to be than her lover's arms. Since we're entering summer vacation season, let's switch it to: What's the best place you've ever traveled to?
There are several.  Prince Edward Island, The Poconos, Cape May, NJ,  Lake Placid and the Adirondacks in upstate New York.

2) Songwriters Holly Knight and Desmond Child originally offered this song to English pop singer Paul Young. He declined it. Can you think of a time when you said "no" when "yes" might have been a better answer?
I really can't think of  anything other than choices in a restaurant. Sometimes I feel like I should have said yes to something I said no to on the menu.

3) Tina Turner was born in Nutbush, TN. In 1973 she recorded a song about it called "Nutbush City Limits." Is there a song about your hometown?  Yes, but I can't find it. But New Jersey, all of it, is my home town so to speak.  Here, Jersey boy Mike Sinatra... Jersey born and bred sings his own song about this great place I love so much.



4) It was at Nutbush's Spring Hill Baptist Church that very young Tina began singing with the choir. She credited those early performances with giving her confidence in front of a crowd. Are you comfortable with public speaking? 
Yes, I am very comfortable.  I have delivered speeches even in front of he NJ state legislature. I was 18 years old at the time.  I spoke in place of the head of the school I was attending.

5) When she was a teen, her mom relocated the family to St. Louis. It was here that Tina played on the high school basketball team. Can you make a free throw?
Sure anyone can and sometimes I even made the basket.  
 
6) Tina met her second husband, Erwin Bach, at the airport. A record exec, Erwin went to Heathrow to meet her flight and help her prepare for her London appearances. The last time you were at the airport, were you a traveler or were you meeting or dropping someone off?
Last time was dropping someone off.
 
7) In 1991, the year this record was released, Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury died. What's your favorite Queen song?
We Are The Champions
 
8) Also in 1991, Disney's Beauty and the Beast became the first animated movie to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. What's your favorite Disney movie?
I really don't have one.  I liked Pollyanna but, I don't have a favorite.
9) Random question: What's your perfect day, weather wise?
I like crisp very cool autumn days.

7 comments:

  1. I like a crisp cool autumn day too. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE that song! He reminds me of two of my favorite singers...John Denver and Garth Brooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you get to claim Bruce Springsteen, too. Not that many famous musicians from where I live, unless you like bluegrass (which I don't).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and Bon Jovi and Frank Sinatra Frankie Vallie, Whitney Huston, Paul Simon and Dionne Warwick, Connie Francis, Queen Latifah Sarah Vaughn, Count Basie, Tony Bennet, Gloria Gaynor and the list goes on!

      Delete
  4. New Jersey must be very musical! So many great singers came from there! Amazing. I enjoyed your answers. I would love to hear you speak sometime. I can imagine you would be a very interesting speaker, just as you are an interesting writer! I love your header picture...you are so very talented. I love that you've been to P.E.I. It is on my "bucket list", but I sincerely doubt my bucket list will ever be filled. Still, a girl can dream, can't she? Have a blessed weekend. I love cool, crisp autumn days also. We do get them here in Florida, just not as early as you do! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 I’ve been to all those places and my cousin lives in Lake Placid.
    #3 Great song!
    #4 Ditto.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.