Saturday, January 20, 2024

Young Girl

It is Friday and more snow has begun to fall.  They say it will continue on into the night and early into  Saturday.    To me, this is a real winter and not the fake ones we have had for quite a while.  

Snow is a vital part of earth's health.    It fills rivers and streams and lowers the temperature of earth to

aid in soil development and regulation of insects that are harmful.    Good snow cover insulates spring bulbs and seeds helping them grow better.  In tropical areas plants and flowers are often straggly looking due to heat and lack of rest for the plants. Yes, snow fertilizes plants as well.  New Jersey is called the Garden State , not one of the southern states.   Our greenery is greener, like in Ireland and our flowers more lush.    Why? Because of snow and icy weather.
 Melting snow in the western parts of the United States receive 75% of their water from winter snows!  

Here is this week's Saturday 9 : Young Girl (1968)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it HERE.

1) The song is about a girl who is too young for romance. How old were you when your parents allowed you to date?
       I had a first real date at about 16.  Like most of the girls in my community at the time I had no clue about sex or even where babies come from and remained a virgin until I got married.
2) Lead singer Gary Puckett mentions the girl's perfume. What scent do you wear most often?
Red Door, Chantilly, Shalimar, YSL's Paris.. all pretty regularly.  But as a young girl I wore Lily of the Valley and Zen by Shiseido.
   
3) "Young Girl" reached #2 on the charts and stayed there for three weeks, but it never hit #1. It was stuck behind Otis Redding's "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay." Are you competitive by nature? Or would you be satisfied doing well, but not being #1?
No, I am not competitive at all but most of my friends are. I just don't really care and never did. I play for the fun of it. Most of the things I do are for fun or interest but I don't like competitive people much at all.  Come to think of it very competitive people are usually quite nasty in one way or  the other.

4) The Union Gap got together in San Diego, California's second most populated city. Have you ever visited California? If yes, where did you go?
No.
5) The Union Gap performed at a White House state dinner for special guests Prince Charles and Princess Anne. Some in attendance that night maintain that President Nixon seemed to be playing matchmaker that night between the Prince and his daughter, Tricia. Have you ever tried to fix people up? If yes, did romance result?
I wish I did do matchmaking.. they charge a fortune!! But I did mention a boy to a friend once or rather to her mother and they did end up making a match.  I don't know if it was because of me but I did play him up to the mother a lot.
6) After six Top 20 hits in three years, the Union Gap disbanded. Today Gary Puckett tours as a solo artist on the "oldies circuit" with Peter Noone of the Herman's Hermits. Without looking it up, can you name any of the Herman's Hermits hits?
yes, I'm Into Something Good"

7) In 1968, when "Young Girl" was a hit, Jacqueline Kennedy married Aristotle Onassis. Think about the last wedding you attended. Were you closer to the bride or groom?    
The groom who was my step son.
8) Also in 1968, the most popular movie in theaters was Funny Girl, starring Barbra Streisand. What's the last movie you watched?
The Bishop's Wife
9) Random question -- Come clean: Right now are there more dishes in your sink or clothes in your hamper?
Clothes in the hamper.

7 comments:

  1. I wear those perfumes too...and I actually love Boss from Hugo Boss--I change my scents out every so often, lol. ANYWAYS, wishing you a beautiful day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't typically wear perfumes and back in the day when I did, it would always be something light. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Shalimar...always have! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a big perfume wearer but my favorite smell is "Lady Stetson". I think it suits me.
    Fun post! Stay warm and safe.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw The Bishop's wife this Christmas season. We are getting 3 days of rain this weekend and we sure need it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve never seen The Bishop’s Wife, but it’s on my list

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning to you all !
    We are a chilly 17 degrees this morning...a real winter this year !
    Stay safe , well and warm !!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.